Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Monday's Munchie (a day late)

Yesterday for our family Memorial Day BBQ, I made a grape salad. I didn't take a picture, but it is probably a good thing because the salad's look can be a little deceiving. I think the common question was "what is that?" with their nose crunched in disgust. Not what you want when you bring a dish to a gathering, but everyone's soon changed their tune when they tasted this glorious salad! It was completely devoured by everyone! So, with further ado, requested by my sister-in-laws the recipe........


Grape salad

2 pounds red seedless grapes
2 pounds green grapes

1- 8 ounce package softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 container of cool whip
2 Tbl white sugar
1cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup chopped (toasted & glazed w/ brown sugar) pecans
2-3Tbl brown sugar

Wash & dry grapes

Combine cream cheese, sour cream & beat together
Add sugars & vanilla.
Beat until light & fluffy
Fold in whip cream

Add grapes to a 9x13 dish
Add 3/4 of cream mixture to grapes & stir well to cover all the grapes
Pour remaining cream mixture over all the grapes & smooth out

Toast pecans in a dry skillet on stovetop over medium- medium low for 5 minutes. (your nose will know when they are done)
Add a Tablespoon (or 2 or 3) of brown sugar to the pecans and stir to cover all the pecans.
Chop pecans and scatter over grapes.
Spinkle a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar over the entire salad to finish it off.

Refrigerate for an hour & serve it chilled.

( I found 2 different recipes for this salad & took things from both & did my own thing with my salad. 1 recipe used cream cheese, sour cream & white sugar. The other used cream cheese, whip cream & powdered sugar. I think I came up with the best of both worlds :)

Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ohh that looks so good! I'm sad I missed it yesterday! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete